Recently I asked Michael if he wanted to learn how to ride a bike without training wheels. Of course, he said yes. We tried for a couple days, but he couldn't seem to get the hang of it so we decided to put the training wheels back on. About a week later, we bought him a little 12 inch bike at a garage sale. It didn't come with training wheels. On Monday, Michael asked if he could try riding his bike without training wheels. I said yes and off he went. All afternoon he tried and tried. At one point he was able to start on his own and rode about 10 feet. So, of course, I ran inside and got the video camera, though he was never able to do it again. That night I told him if he could ride from our house to the house 4-houses down without falling we would get him a prize. I thought it would be weeks. I didn't realize how determined this boy was. He figured it out and mastered it the next day (Tuesday afternoon). He also figured out how to turn around in a driveway without falling over. We were amazed.
July 14, 2011
Michael, Michael, Motor-Bikael
Michael is not one to give up easily. Just the other day we took Michael to play tennis for the first time. It took him a few swings and misses to figure out how to hit the ball. Once he figured it out, he did great. Liliana, on the other hand, is more like her mother. She tried once, and after missing, she screamed and threw the tennis racket as hard as she could (sound familiar, mom?).
Recently I asked Michael if he wanted to learn how to ride a bike without training wheels. Of course, he said yes. We tried for a couple days, but he couldn't seem to get the hang of it so we decided to put the training wheels back on. About a week later, we bought him a little 12 inch bike at a garage sale. It didn't come with training wheels. On Monday, Michael asked if he could try riding his bike without training wheels. I said yes and off he went. All afternoon he tried and tried. At one point he was able to start on his own and rode about 10 feet. So, of course, I ran inside and got the video camera, though he was never able to do it again. That night I told him if he could ride from our house to the house 4-houses down without falling we would get him a prize. I thought it would be weeks. I didn't realize how determined this boy was. He figured it out and mastered it the next day (Tuesday afternoon). He also figured out how to turn around in a driveway without falling over. We were amazed.
So, I took Michael to the Target dollar spot to pick out his prize. Out of all the prizes, he chose a pinwheel, which he affectionately calls his "windchill." He is so proud of himself!
In other news, Michael and Liliana have been enjoying lots of other fun summer activities including swimming. They love swimming and Michael loves going under the water. So we got them some goggles. They were both super excited about this.
The other day Matt and I bought them some water balloons. Here are our kids and the neighbors throwing their water balloons.
Last, but not least, Michael recently got to try a new candy. We (actually I should say I) let him try a piece of gum. He was only allowed to chew it while sitting at the table and for the amount of time it took Liliana to eat her treat (dots). He seemed to enjoy it very much. And much to our surprise, he hasn't asked for it since!


Recently I asked Michael if he wanted to learn how to ride a bike without training wheels. Of course, he said yes. We tried for a couple days, but he couldn't seem to get the hang of it so we decided to put the training wheels back on. About a week later, we bought him a little 12 inch bike at a garage sale. It didn't come with training wheels. On Monday, Michael asked if he could try riding his bike without training wheels. I said yes and off he went. All afternoon he tried and tried. At one point he was able to start on his own and rode about 10 feet. So, of course, I ran inside and got the video camera, though he was never able to do it again. That night I told him if he could ride from our house to the house 4-houses down without falling we would get him a prize. I thought it would be weeks. I didn't realize how determined this boy was. He figured it out and mastered it the next day (Tuesday afternoon). He also figured out how to turn around in a driveway without falling over. We were amazed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment