This morning while I was brushing and flossing the kids' teeth before we left for the dentist, I was surprised to find a tooth poking it's little head out of Michael's lower gums. He's only 4, folks and surely 4 is a little young to be sprouting a new pearly white.
I asked the dentist right away if this is normal. He said, "Nope, not for a 4-year-old." Just as I suspected. Of course, we aren't 100% sure on Michael's birthday as it is, so it's not really surprising that he is getting a tooth this young. It's actually kind of fun, for me anyway, because it give us a better idea of how old he might actually be.After I saw the tooth, I remembered that last week Michael was complaining that something was hurting him under his tongue. Now it all makes sense.
Back to the new tooth: I asked the dentist what they do when a tooth comes in behind a baby tooth like it is in Michael's case. I was a little concerned because the baby tooth is not the slightest bit loose. The dentist said they like to pull the baby teeth in these cases to make room for the adult tooth. So, we have a tooth-pulling scheduled for his next dental appointment in 6 months. Of course, a lot can chance in 6 months... maybe he'll lose the tooth in between now and then!
After Michael's visit, it was Liliana's turn. She was super excited, which made me feel better. She was a rock star during the x-rays. The dental hygienist was great. She actually stayed right by Liliana during the x-rays and had me push the x-ray button. And that felt like a childhood dream coming true since as a kid I wanted to be a dentist. Okay, okay... that was my second choice. My first choice was to be She-Ra...
Liliana did great during her cleaning and was a champ for the minute she had to hold the fluoride trays in her mouth.
Could she be any cuter? Seriously, this girl just cracks me up!After our great dentist visits with good cooperation by both kids and another no-cavity report, we celebrated with a dish of Culver's custard! It seemed wrong to eat ice cream after going to the dentist, but you only live once, right?

No comments:
Post a Comment