Well, after almost 24 hours of travel, we made it. Here are a few highlights of our trip so far:
- first flight out of msp was delyaed 1.5 hours
- we barely made our connection in amsterdam... luckily there was a lady waiting for us at the gate when we landed to guide us to our connection
- naribo airport is stinky
- we landed in Ethiopia at around 11:30 pm Ethiopian time. Our luggage did not arrive with us!
- we got up at 7:30 after only 6 restless hours of sleep
- at 8:30 am we left to get our ppwk ready with the bfas staff, then off to the orphanage.
- just before noon we met milkias (michael) for the first time. what a sweetheart
- 15 minutes or so later, we met mihiret (liliana) - precious little girl
- still no luggage at the moment, but we hope to get it in about an hour
michael is very happy, quiet, and smiley. he is very small, but precious. he hasn't said one word since we picked him up. he seems comfortable even though he is shy. he understands that we are his parents, liliana is his sister, and we are going to go to america soon.
liliana is the little peanut we imagined she would be. she is starting to smile, giggle, and laugh. she loves being in our arms. she gets upset if we try to put her down.
both kids are super ticklish...a great way to bond.
we will try to write again soon... but now we need to find out if our luggage made it. we have 2 diapers we borrowed from another family and are using a washcloth as a wipe. and i used conditioner this morning since i had no other product to tame my hair. aren't i creative??? ha ha. oh, and no deodorant = stinky parents (i guess that is what i get for saying the naribou airport was stinky!)
talk soon!
matt and becca
May 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Thanks for the update! I checked my phone when I left the house and didnt see anything and prayed for you guys on my way to work hoping everything was going fine! :) So excited to see more updates and to meet them!!
ReplyDeleteMatt & Becca,
ReplyDeleteSo glad that you made it! We've been praying for you 4! We will pray that you get all of your luggage soon! And that God would continue to provide your needs! Love you guys! Chris and Julie
I am so excited for your family! It's such a blessing to be able to read this news! I feel the Lords spirit every time I read any of your news. When I read that you only have 2 diapers and are using a wash cloth as a wipe I wish that I could just toss the huge box of diapers and wipes I have sitting beside me to you! You are all in my prayers. BTW - Vinny just out grew his size 5 diapers and we have a ton left over - when you are home I would be glad to bring them, to you. OH and I'd love to help out in any other way I can.
ReplyDeleteBTW - This is Rachael Theis.
ReplyDeleteSo happy to hear the update! Brings me to tears reading this and thinking of what an amazing time in life this is for you! You guys were on my mind and in my prayers this morning as I was getting ready. Love coming to see the blog updates and totally knowing God is taking care of you. God's so awesome! :)
ReplyDelete