June 13, 2010

Baby Girl Gets Glasses

It seems like the doctor's appointments are never going to end. Last Friday Liliana had her eye doctor appointment. In a couple weeks they both go to our new primary care physician for well child visits. They both also need to do an ear screening and Michael still needs to get his eye checked as well as go to the dentist. Then we will finally be done and it will be time to go to follow-up appointments for Liliana at the U for a weight check and at the eye doctor to see how she is doing with her new glasses.


New glasses, you say? Yes, baby girl is going to get glasses. And I do have to say she looks mighty cute in them. Although my heart did drop a little when they said, "now these lenses will magnify her eyes a bit..." I am sure she'll still be cute as a button. This picture is of her trying on a pair that we didn't end up getting, but for whatever reason this is the pair she had on when we took the picture. (I apologize because it isn't that great of a picture, but if you check back on the blog Monday afternoon I should have it updated with a better picture in the glasses we are actually going to get her. That is if I remember my camera this time. This picture was taken on Matt's phone. Also, what is going on with my neck in this picture. Very weird.)

Side note: I am sitting at home alone with the kids right now. It's 7:30 p.m. and the kids have been in bed for roughly 20 minutes. I am giggling to myself listening to the monitor. Lately it has taken Liliana 30-60 minutes to fall asleep at night. Michael falls asleep within about 10 minutes of us laying him down. Anyway, she is making the goofiest noises in her bed. It's just cracking me up. I always listen and debate if I should go in there or not. But if she isn't keeping Michael awake, what's the harm, right?

Back to the glasses: we are going for a fitting tomorrow and hopefully will get them in a couple weeks. The eye doctor appointment on Friday went really well. Liliana did a great job looking at the doctor and his assistant so they could figure out what was going on with her eyes. The doctor did confirm that she does have strabismus. He also said that she is nearsighted. He said that her nearsightedness is double that of what a person is usually nearsighted. Does that make sense? The doctor wants her to wear the glasses for 3 months and then come back to make sure that they are helping her eyes instead of hurting them. When I got home Matt asked me a number of questions about the diagnosis and the plan with the glasses such as: Is the strabismus causing the nearsightedness or vice versa? Will she have to always wear glasses? How long will she wear glasses until we find out if she needs surgery? I had no answers. Apparently I was too wrapped up in keeping Liliana occupied to think of these great questions (she had had enough by the time the 2 hour visit was over. Can you blame her?) I have calling the eye doctor to ask these questions on my to do list for this week. I hope to share an update soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment