October 18, 2010

Pumpkins, Apples, and Halloween Costumes

Fall is by far my favorite time of year. It has been especially fun this year because we've been able to share our favorite fall traditions with the kids... and start some new ones as well.

A couple weeks ago we went to the Apple Orchard. The kids had a fabulous time picking apples, running around, climbing on the hay bales, and of course, eating tons of apples. Michael ate tons of apples while we were there - including an apple with a worm in it. :( He would eat the entire apple including the stem and seeds. Both of the kids have enjoyed the apples we picked at the orchard. It's one of their new favorite treats. Here are some pictures from the Apple Orchard.

Liliana with her "apple fangs."

Heidi and I used this method to get the best apples. I pull down a big branch and she picked the apples and put them in her sweatshirt pocket.
Matt just climbed the trees to get the best apples...
Michael reaching high to get a good one.
Liliana enjoying a ride in the wagon.
This past weekend we went to the Pumpkin Patch. This was the first time both Matt and I had been to a Pumpkin Patch (that we can remember anyway). The kids also had fun here - running around the pumpkins, trying to pick up the pumpkins, and investigating the dirty ground. Here are some pictures from the Pumpkin Patch.



"I got it off the ground!!"




If you know me, you know I am cheap. I don't like to overspend on anything and won't buy something unless I get a good deal. Because of this, I couldn't bear to pay the 35 cents/pound at the Pumpkin Patch when I knew the pumpkins at Aldi were so cheap. So here are Michael and Liliana picking out their $2.99 pumpkins at Aldi.


No, Liliana! That's not a pumpkin!!


We've been contemplating the kids Halloween costumes all month. The conversation actually started shortly after the kids got home. We decided we were going to grow out Michael's hair so that we could shave the sides at Halloween and have him dress up as Mr. T. As we started talking to the kids about Halloween and decorating the house, Michael informed us that he wanted to be a car for Halloween. We thought it would be cute if he dressed up as Matt's car and Liliana dressed up as my car. But, that idea was shot down by me knowing how much work it would take to actually make the costumes. Since then I have been searching for the perfect outfit. I thought Michael could be a hamburger and Liliana could be a hot dog (then Matt and I could be mustard and ketchup). We've also thought of doing Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein, pirates, and a couple other ideas. We still haven't decided. My back-up plan is to have then be Ethiopians and they can wear their traditional outfits.

1 comment:

  1. I love your back-up plan... it's easy, you're all done, no prep required, and I'm not sure that anything else would be as adorable. They have the rest of their lives to be hot dogs and hamburgers... :) Love you, Hawks Family... your updates just melt me. :)

    ReplyDelete