October 29, 2010

Yet another surgery

Liliana had a follow-up visit today for her ears. I am not sure if I blogged about how her first ear check-up came back inconclusive. She passed the hearing test, but failed a different test. Today we went back in to check in and see if she would do better at a later date. Their hope was that she had a cold the first day and everything would come back normal this time around. This was not the case. She has fluid in her ears and this time she did worse on the hearing test and she failed the other test again (sorry I am not exactly sure what it was...it is where they take a "picture" of your ear drum. The line you see when they take this "picture" should go up and down - both Liliana's ears were flat-lined).

With this in mind, the doctor gave us two options. The first was to wait it out. Some kids have fluid in their ears for years and nothing ever happens - no infections, etc. Liliana hasn't had any ear infections that we know of, so she might just be able to live with fluid in her ears. The other option was to do surgery - take out the adenoids and put tubes in her ears. The doctor was leaning towards this option. I was too because I have heard stories about kids having damage to their ears because of the fluid sitting in there for so long. And a bonus - we've reached our out-of-pocket max for our insurance so everything from now until the end of April is covered at 100%.

The surgery is scheduled for November 24 (4 days after her 2nd birthday!). The recovery is 5-7 days. Just the thought of it makes me sad. I wish there was some way I could have the surgery and her ears would be fixed. I am sure all you parents out there understand that feeling. There is nothing worse that a hurt, helpless child. I am just glad I have a flexible schedule at work and will be able to take care of my baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment