January 25, 2011

Go ahead, CALL ME CRAZY!

There are always those classic questions you ask after certain major events. After you get married everyone asks, "How's married life?" After a year a marriage they start asking, "When are you going to have a baby?" (That is if they were tactful enough to at least wait a year to ask). After you get pregnant, "Are you going to find out the sex?" and "Have you picked out any names?" And then after you've had kids for a while, whether by adoption or birth, they start asking, "When do you want to have more kids."

For some reason I get the strangest reaction when people ask me this question (are you going to have more kids). I've been getting it a lot lately. And it seems that I get the exact same reaction every time.

Questioner: "Do you want to adopt again?"
Me: "Of course."
Questioner: "But don't you want to get pregnant?"
Me: "Not really."
Questioner: *insert stunned look here* "Oh. That's interesting"
Me: "Actually we are really anxious to start the adoption process again."
Questioner: *insert long pause here* "Seriously?"
Me: "Yes. We are praying for the money to start by June."
Questioner: "June of this year?" *Lifting mouth off floor*
Me: "Yes, this year."
Questioner: "You're crazy."

Does this really make me crazy? Does the fact that I want to adopt more kids and spend any and every penny we save towards adopting make me crazy? Does the fact that I am willing to live on less (GASP!) so that there are less orphans make me crazy? Really?? Does it??? If that is the case, then go ahead, CALL ME CRAZY. In fact, call me whatever you want. Some people out there might dare to call me financially irresponsible. Whatever the case may be, it doesn't really matter because the bottom line is that I am crazy because of Christ. He asks us all to care for the orphans and I feel so blessed that that command has translated into growing our family through adoption. What a beautiful way to share Christ's heart for the hurting with those that don't know Him. And what an awesome privilege it is that we can be a family to children that might never otherwise have a mom or dad.

Yes, Matt and I may have lost our minds, but at least it if for the sake of God's Kingdom. We know He will provide in the way only He can and we are trusting and praying fervently for the funds to move forward with our next adoption by June of this year.

"If I acted crazy, I did it for God; if I acted overly serious, I did it for you. Christ's love has moved me to such extremes. His love has the first and last word in everything we do."
--2 Corinthians 5:13-14 (MSG)

Please join us in prayer for our next adoption! We would greatly appreciate all the prayers we can get. And we hope to be able to update everyone really soon with exciting news of a pending adoption.

4 comments:

  1. Love this! :) I have been pondering a blog about the "crazy" questions we keep getting asked too! Praying for your next little one or two ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lord only puts on your platter what you can handle. I would have to say your platter must not be full!! You have so much love to give and that does not make you crazy! May all you dreams and prayers come true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, God has called us to be a peculiar people and good for you for making people pause to think. it takes courage to challenge people's assumptions. God clearly called us to care for the orphans and the widows and your desire to joyfully follow that call is anything but crazy. it's gospel sanity.

    ReplyDelete