Sometimes it feels like just when I get comfortable things start to change. I can't say that I don't like change, but I prefer when change is predictable. Is that even possible?
Our family is about to enter another season of change. This change does feel somewhat predictable. Probably because I am the one who brought on the change. One Monday night a few weeks ago I decided, on a whim, to apply for a teaching job. I was feeling frustrated because what I wanted in a job (flexibility and the ability to be home with my kids) was not what I was experiencing. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have applied for the job if it wasn't for Matt. Matt was sitting on the couch browsing the internet on our shared laptop. In a moment of frustration (because he wasn't paying attention to ME!) I decided to go upstairs and browse the internet on that computer. That is how I came across an Early Childhood Special Education position in the Burnsville school district.
As I applied for the job I found that the answers were coming very easily to me and I breezed through most of the application in a short time. The next day I had the afternoon home with the kids so I worked a little bit more on the application, but did not finish it. That afternoon I got a call from a number I did not recognize. I answered it anyway. It was a woman from the Burnsville school district. She saw my pending application on their website and wondered if I could come in for an interview. I was shocked. Of course I said yes and set it up for a few days later.
I went into the interview with low expectations because I didn't really feel qualified anymore since it has been almost 4 years since I last taught. The interview went well, but I left feeling that I would not be offered the job. A week later a got a call and was offered the position. Again, I was shocked. And extremely thrilled. I have missed teaching since the day I left, so to be offered the opportunity to teach again was an amazing feeling.
Matt and I talked it over and prayed about the decision. We finally decided that this was the best fit for our family. My last day working at my current job is this Friday (AHH!) and I start my new position on Monday, February 28 (AHH AHH!). I will be teaching birth to three year olds with special needs in their homes. I am very excited to get back into teaching and to have way more time home with my kids. I will be working on a stretch calendar. This means that I will have 14 weeks off throughout the year instead of having the entire summer off. We are all very excited to start this new adventure.
Of course, this transition is bittersweet. I have thoroughly enjoyed working at my current job for the past 3 and a half years. I have learned a lot and made many great friends. However I am excited to enter back into the world of teaching. Thank goodness for Facebook! It makes leaving friends from a previous job so much easier!!
We will also be leaving our current nanny since she lives right by my current job and not close to home. Our kids have LOVED going to her house and playing with her kids. It will be hard to transition them again to a new childcare environment, but we are really excited about the new couple that will be watching our kids. The new childcare provider has several other kids they watch and I think that will be a good environment for kids to be a part of. Especially Michael who is DYING to go to school.
So, overall, we are very excited to embark on this new journey and anxious to see what the future holds for us. I am hoping that our next change will be adding more kids to the family. :)
February 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Congratulations! That's very exciting! Sorry - I saw your Facebook status update with the blog and I must admit that I have been following your blog for a while. Your kids are AHHHDORABLE!
ReplyDeleteOh, and this is Abby (Martinek) Blumhardt by the way. I think I changed my profile name to be Abby B for some reason ;)