January 25, 2013

A moment to breathe

I finally have a moment to breathe, relax, and share about some of our experiences with our new additions.  These past 4 days have been crazy, to say the least.  I feel like I've been moving at 100 mph without a moment to pause and catch my breath.

Monday night we arrived in Minneapolis at Noon.  Shortly thereafter Sammy and Sadie's visas were stamped making them official citizens of the United States.  Matt's parents picked us up from the airport and brought us home.  The twins did surprisingly well in the -8 degree weather!  What wasn't a surprise was their dislike of riding in car seats.  They are in rear-facing car seats so Matt and I sat in the back of the van so they could see us.  Sadie fell asleep right away, but Sammy cried and reached his arms out to me for a good 15 minutes before finally falling asleep.

Overall the past few days have been hectic.  The twins need a lot of attention. They are into everything.  They love to pull on electrical chords, climb up the stairs and fall down, and hit/bite Michael and Liliana.  We are baby-proofing the house as we go, which seems like a never ending job.  When they aren't happily playing, they are crying at my feet, begging me to hold them.  They still prefer me for comfort when they are upset.  I love that they want a hug from Mommy, but at times carrying around two babies gets exhausting.  Did I mention when they are upset I have to STAND and hold them.  Geez!  :)

Wednesday we went to the pediatrician and found out they both have double ear infections.  Adding that to jet lag and having diarrhea 6-8 times per day makes for two very cranky babies and two very exhausted parents.  The twins wake up several times at night because of diarrhea.  They also were given a "midnight feeding" at the care center which they continue to want now.

Samuel is a dream to put to bed.  He transfers from my arms after a bottle to his crib without only a few whimpers.  Sadie, on the other hand, cries the moment she feels you lifting her over the rail of the crib.  However, the last 3 sleep times, she has been better at making it into her crib with only a few tears, even if she is still awake.  I think the consistency of our care and schedule is helping them to relax and feel safe.

Matt and I have had a harder time getting over jet lag this time around.  I think it's because of the lack of sleep at night and the constant running around during the day.  I feel like, today, I'm finally over the jet lag which I am so grateful for.

Even though these past few days have been tough, we are so grateful to be home as a family of six.  We are grateful for our two big kids that are such great helpers to us.  We are grateful for our family and friends and their non-stop love, care, help, and prayers.  We are looking forward to having the twins finally settled, healthy, and adjusted to their new life in our family.  Until then, I am grateful for a few moments on a sunny afternoon to relax, breath, and enjoy a moment alone.
Sammy checking out the toys.
Sadie with her new toy phone... not nearly as fun as the real thing. :)

Play together

Spreading the toys all over the house.  I'm getting used to the mess.  Grateful for the kids that make it each day.

Sadie is so happy to be home!

Michael and Liliana meeting Sadie.  You can see Michael is thrilled. :)

Our first meal together as a family of six.

Sadie with her new hat and scarf that Grandma Lovey made for her.  Could she be any cuter?!?!

Grandma Lovey meeting the twins.

The four kids together at last!

Grandma with her four favorite grandchildren. ;)

Sadie having a good morning.

Mommy and Liliana taking a much needed nap together.

Sammy and Sadie checking out Nickel.  Sadie seems neither here nor there about him.  Sammy, on the other hand, is very concerned about the cat.  Every time he sees the cat, he takes my hand, pulls me to where Nickel is, and points at him while grunting.  I think he's trying to show me there's a giant animal in our house and I should get him out!

Sammy hanging out under the sofa table.  We've had to move all the pictures from underneath the table to the top of the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment