It's hard to believe we now have two gotcha days to celebrate each year. Yesterday (January 16) was Sammy and Sadie's first gotcha day. It brings me to tears just thinking about how amazing it is to have these two precious children in our care. They are absolutely adorable and our love for them is so great. Moms and Dads always say your heart grows bigger when you have more children. Before yesterday, I couldn't imagine how that worked, but it's so true.
When we arrived at the care center yesterday, Samuel was asleep. So, we got to spend a few moments with our beautiful daughter first. She was just as silly, mischievous, talkative, and loving as we remembered. She came willingly to us and had no reservations. She was eager to play, give hugs, and kisses. Samuel woke up about 20 minutes after we arrived. He was quite surprised to wake up to Mommy rubbing his back. It did make him a little nervous, so he promptly got down and went to a nanny for comfort. We let him warm up a bit. By the time we left, about an hour later, he was enjoying sitting in my lap and getting cuddles and kisses from me. I am pretty sure my busting out our variety of snacks didn't hurt the situation. I have definitely found a way into his heart through food. :) He is still just as shy and sweet as we remembered him. He is starting to warm up and show his true personality and it is such a delight to watch.
Both of the twins are much smaller than we remember. Samuel is fitting just right in his size 12 month clothes. However they are obviously too big for Sadie. She fits better in 9 month clothes. I can't believe that used to be how small Liliana was!
Sammy and Sadie are very active and love exploring the guesthouse. They like to get into anything that looks like a no-no. We may be baby-proofing our house when we get home! :) They are very chatty (especially Sadie) when they are comfortable. Both babies have called out to me when upset; raising their little arms and crying "mama mama." Sadie will look to Matt for comfort as well, but Samuel is still a little nervous about him. If I'm not there, he will accept comfort from Matt, but as soon as he sees me, he'll start up again until I pick him up.
Sammy had diarrhea every 2 hours for the first 24 hours in our care. I am not kidding - I was up every two hours last night changing his diaper. Poor boy. He's doing better today, but not totally 100% yet. Sadie has the opposite problem. She has thrown-up three times since we picked her up. We think she is over eating so we are trying to be very careful to monitor what she eats.
I think that is all for more. There is obviously much more to share. We are looking forward to sharing more stories and pictures once we get home. I'm missing my other littles and can't wait to introduce them to the twins when we get home.
Blessings from Ethiopia,
Matt and Becca
When we arrived at the care center yesterday, Samuel was asleep. So, we got to spend a few moments with our beautiful daughter first. She was just as silly, mischievous, talkative, and loving as we remembered. She came willingly to us and had no reservations. She was eager to play, give hugs, and kisses. Samuel woke up about 20 minutes after we arrived. He was quite surprised to wake up to Mommy rubbing his back. It did make him a little nervous, so he promptly got down and went to a nanny for comfort. We let him warm up a bit. By the time we left, about an hour later, he was enjoying sitting in my lap and getting cuddles and kisses from me. I am pretty sure my busting out our variety of snacks didn't hurt the situation. I have definitely found a way into his heart through food. :) He is still just as shy and sweet as we remembered him. He is starting to warm up and show his true personality and it is such a delight to watch.
Both of the twins are much smaller than we remember. Samuel is fitting just right in his size 12 month clothes. However they are obviously too big for Sadie. She fits better in 9 month clothes. I can't believe that used to be how small Liliana was!
Sammy and Sadie are very active and love exploring the guesthouse. They like to get into anything that looks like a no-no. We may be baby-proofing our house when we get home! :) They are very chatty (especially Sadie) when they are comfortable. Both babies have called out to me when upset; raising their little arms and crying "mama mama." Sadie will look to Matt for comfort as well, but Samuel is still a little nervous about him. If I'm not there, he will accept comfort from Matt, but as soon as he sees me, he'll start up again until I pick him up.
Sammy had diarrhea every 2 hours for the first 24 hours in our care. I am not kidding - I was up every two hours last night changing his diaper. Poor boy. He's doing better today, but not totally 100% yet. Sadie has the opposite problem. She has thrown-up three times since we picked her up. We think she is over eating so we are trying to be very careful to monitor what she eats.
I think that is all for more. There is obviously much more to share. We are looking forward to sharing more stories and pictures once we get home. I'm missing my other littles and can't wait to introduce them to the twins when we get home.
Blessings from Ethiopia,
Matt and Becca

Awesome update, Becca! So thrilled for you and your family!
ReplyDelete