October 31, 2012

Ethiopia Court Trip, Part 1: Visiting the care center

First of all, I need to apologize for the confusion over my last blog post.  Although we are officially a family of six (the twins are legally ours!), they are not with us yet.  They will be in Ethiopia until we can come back for our Embassy appointment.  The agency says it is an average of 3-5 months between the court visit (the reason we were just in Ethiopia) and the Embassy visit (when get go back to bring the kids home).  We are praying for two months between court and embassy so that the twins will be home before the end of the year.

On Friday (Oct 26) we left for the care center in the morning.  We truly enjoyed the one hour drive from Dire Dawa (where we were staying at a hotel) to Harar (where the care center in located).  When we got to the care center, I really wasn't nervous.  I remember being very nervous to meet Michael and Liliana.  But, I think since this is our second adoption, I was feeling less nervous.  And really after waiting six months to meet these sweet babies, I was super excited.  We walked in and saw Sammy and Sadie right away.  They were dressed up in cute little outfits.  Sadie had her hair done in little pony tails with a cute headband on.  I went straight over to the kids and as I approached the crying started.  Sammy was so scared!  And probably confused too.  The care center in Harar isn't visited very often, so they don't see white people very much. 

Sadie let me pick her up right away, but she looked very confused.  After a few minutes of snuggling my sweet girl, I decided to try and hold Sammy.  He was being calmed down by one of the nannies after Matt had tried to hold him.  I decided I was just going to go for it and hold him even if he cried.  Somehow, by the grace of God, I was able to hold him and calm him down.  He did cry for about 30 seconds, but after that was okay.  He wasn't comfortable, but he tolerated being held by me.  However, if Matt came near or even looked at him, he would start crying again.

Friday we spend about 3 hours playing with the babies.  We were so exhausted from all our travel, that we decided to go back to the hotel for a late lunch.  After lunch we relaxed and played games.  Then we had dinner went to bed.

Saturday morning we got up early again and headed out to the care center.  On the way there, we stopped at the village where the twins' birth mom lives.  We were able to go to her home and talk with her.  We spent about 20 minutes with her.  We talked to her about her life in Ethiopia, the twins, and her husband (he died when she was 3 months pregnant with the twins).  It was a very nice meeting and we are so glad that we were able to do it.  There was a lot said, but I will just share two highlights.  One thing she said that was very special and I am sure will be very important for the twins to hear is about why she is living near Harar.  She is originally from a city that is west of Addis Ababa, and therefore very far from the care center in Harar.  After she relinquished the twins to the care center, she moved back home to the village where her parents live (west of Addis).  This is why they couldn't find her when getting the paperwork ready for our court hearing.  However, after several months, she decided to move back to a village much closer to Harar.  When we asked her why she did that, she said it was because she wanted to stay close to the care center so that as we send pictures and update letters (which we are required to do every year until the twins turn 18), she can stop by the care center and see the pictures of her babies and read about what they are up to.  She sacrificed being with her family so that she can keep up with the twins.  I was floored to see how deep her love for the wins truly runs.  One other highlight moment from our visit with the birth mom:  we asked her what her hopes and dreams are for Sammy and Sadie. Her response: "That they grow, do not forget me, and do not get fat." :)

After we visited with the birth mom, we headed to the care center.  On the way, we stopped and bought a goat for the kids and staff at the care center.  Once we got to the care center, they started butchering the goat right away (Matt got to see it's throat get slit :/) and then later that afternoon, they served it to us for lunch.  I passed. :)

Sammy and Sadie where much more comfortable with us on Saturday.  We spent the entire day with them.  They gave us lots of kisses and snuggles.  We even got Sammy to smile and laugh.  By the end of the day, it was very clear to us that Sadie is going to be a Daddy's girl and Sammy is going to be a Momma's boy.  He still wasn't very interested in Matt, but would let him hold him by the end of the day.  Sadie followed Matt around everywhere and called him Daddy (Ababa in Amharic).

We had a wonderful two day visit with the twins.  We are truly looking forward to our return trip so that we can bring the babies home!!

Here are a few pictures from our visit with the twins:

First meeting the twins
 Sadie and Mommy
 Matt *trying* to hold Sammy.
 Sadie and Daddy
 He's letting me hold him! :)
 First family photo with the twins.  Sammy isn't very excited about the picture.
 Poor, sweet, boy.
 Sadie loved looking at the board books we brought for them.
 Sweet girl all dressed up for our first meeting.
 Daddy's girl.
 Yes, I am that cheesy and bought the kids matching twins shirts!
 Cutie pies
 A smile from our shy boy,
 Walking with Daddy.  I love this picture because we have a similar one of Matt and Liliana.
 Skinning the goat for lunch.  Bon Appetit!
 Sadie carrying her baby like the Mommy's do in Ethiopia.  She loved carrying her baby around like this.  And it was super cute!
 The twins with me.
 And the twins with Matt.

1 comment:

  1. Warms my heart and soul. I can see the joy in your faces in these pictures. We'll be praying for a Christmas miracle! :) - Tiffany Burns

    ReplyDelete