April 7, 2011

This, That, and Another Thing

We have had quite a bit of excitement over the past two weeks. I have been on spring break for the past two weeks and the kids have loved having me home all day again. Last Friday when we were getting ready to go to the dentist, Liliana asked if we were going to Barb's house. I said no, not today, but that we would go again soon. She essentially said no and that she wanted to stay home with me. This makes me a little nervous for Monday when the kids go back to Barb's and I go back to work.

Speaking of Liliana talking -she has had a language explosion. She is talking pretty consistently in 2-3 word sentences. The way she speaks is very thought out and deliberate. It is almost as if she is picking each work out very carefully and being mindful to say the word perfectly. To me, her speech sounds like this: "My. Turn. Mommy." It is absolutely adorable.

Michael also continues to talk a lot. Between Michael and Liliana's talking we rarely have a moment of silence in our house. Michael loves to share about anything and everything he sees. He also likes to ask a lot of questions.

Both of the kids are full of energy and love. They are thrilled that it is finally nice outside and can play outside for hours without the smallest sense of being bored. Michael asks everyday if it is warm enough out to go swimming yet. Here's to hoping the HOT weather comes soon - for my sanity's sake. :)

||~~~|||~~~|||~~~|||~~~|||~~~|||~~~|||~~~|||~~~|||~~~|||~~~||

As many of you know, I had my second of two surgeries to get rid of endometriosis this week. My surgery was on Tuesday morning and everything went really well. This time there were only a few spots of endo to clean-up and one cyst to take off my right ovary. I could tell immediately after the surgery that it was less invasive. I remember a whole lot more of the prep before the surgery and waking up after the surgery. I was awake and very alert for sometime before they moved me to the second recovery room where Matt could join me. We were only there for a short time before I was ready to go. I had some pain meds via my IV, but that was it. Once we were home, I didn't need to take any of the pain meds they sent me home with.

Besides the shoulder pain from the gas left in my body from the surgery, I am feeling really good. I have been able to get up and move around quite a bit and I also got outside today with the kids. I have been really tired, which has almost been the most annoying part. But, I have been able to sleep in our bed, which is a huge blessing considering last time it took me a few days to be able to sleep in our bed.

The next step is still up in the air for my treatment plan, but we hope to have some plan lined up after my post-op appointment in a couple of weeks.

||~~~|||~~~|||~~~|||~~~|||~~~|||~~~|||~~~|||~~~|||~~~|||~~~||

While I was especially delirious during the more intense part of my recovery on Wednesday, I got a phone call I was hoping not to get this week. It was from the school I am working at. I knew the moment I saw the phone number what the call was going to be.

The school district I am currently working for is doing major budget cuts this year, particularly in the area of special education. I assumed if these budget cuts affected my area of teaching (birth to three special education) that I would be cut since I am the lowest person on the totem pole (having only been hired 6 weeks ago).

The phone call was from the director of special education informing me that my position had been cut. She felt bad having to call me on my spring break to tell me, but she wanted me to hear it from her and not from the board meeting notes. I felt bad telling her that I was on my "recovery bed" from surgery, so I kept that to myself. I took the news graciously because I knew there is nothing to be done. There might be some positions open in the fall that the people who were cut can apply for, but there is no guarantee. So, as of June 30, I will be unemployed.

Matt and I are praying for wisdom and for job opportunities. Please join us as we pray for clarity on what we should do next for my job. Perhaps this is my ticket to being a stay-at-home mom. I am sure the kids would love that!

No comments:

Post a Comment